The majority of people will have cedar fences in their compounds. If you own a cedar house or your compound has a cedar fence, then using fence stain is the best decision you can ever make to protect your fence from environmental damages such as UV rays and rain.
That said, I have already checked, researched, and weighed the options of stain for cedar available in the market, and I have recommended the best that can deliver the best results for your cedar fence staining project. It’s upon you to choose among the best on the list. Therefore, this article is a guide to the best stain for cedar fences in the market.
Our criteria for choosing the best stain for cedar fence
- Base – Stains for cedar fences will either be oil- or water-based. Thus, you will find two types of stains for cedar fences in today’s market, oil and water-based. Although the oil-based stains for cedar fences are harder to clean off, they offer the best finishing. Moreover, you will find water-based stains for cedar fences easy to clean and apply, even though they will need frequent maintenance.
- Size – You don’t want to buy a stain for your cedar fence staining project that won’t complete the project. You will have to buy the right size stain pack that will cover the entire area of your project. In my list, I have recommended stains for cedar fences of various size options, from 1-gallon to 5-gallon packs. Thus, you must estimate the right size that will suit your cedar fence staining project.
- Colour – although you will find transparent cedar fence stain options available in the market, most homeowners and strainers I have interacted with finding them not as trendy nowadays as before. Because there are so many excellent colour options, you can choose from today’s market. Depending on your taste, you can select the colour of stain you would like on your cedar fence.
3 best stains for cedar fence
1 Ready Seal 512 5-Gallon Pail Natural Cedar Exterior Stain – Editor’s choice
Ready Seal 512 Cedar Stain is the kind you can never go wrong with when using on your project since you will not need any primer. You will notice that this stain is darkest when you first apply it, but you shouldn’t worry about that as it will turn to its true colours in about two weeks.
However, I have seen people make a mistake applying Ready Seal 512 Cedar Stain over newly stained or painted surfaces. It would be best to avoid such errors at all costs, as sealed surfaces are known to harbour penetration.
The good news about this stain is that you may use a roller, sprayer, or brush to apply it to the cedar wood surface. However, you should not back brush if at all you don’t want to leave brush streaks, runs, or laps.
You will not need wet-line application as the stain will eventually blend, and you can apply appropriately in any temperature range. So the temperature in your area shouldn’t be of concern. And if you use a sprayer, you will not need to thin or dilute this stain. In addition, you will find the stain easy to maintain as you won’t need to strip or sand your cedar fence before applying it.
- It is natural cedar in color.
- It comes in a 5-gallon pack and hence covers a large area.
- It offers a semi-transparent finish.
- It is easy to maintain.
- It can be applied using a brush, sprayer, or roller.
- It does not require a wet-line application.
- It is expensive.
2 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain – Runners up
For maximum protection of your cedar fence from the destruction caused by exposure of your cedar wood to such elements, this is the product that will save you. Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain protects your cedar fence against fading of colour and ensures no greying. And if your cedar is pressure-treated, you don’t have to worry about using this product as it will still serve you right. However, you will need more consistent maintenance coats when using this product.
With Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain, you don’t have to worry about buying a sealer as it is a dual-purpose stain and sealer. This will be buying a stain and a sealant in one single pack. Is it not amazing? You will love how it adds colour to your cedar fence as it seals it, thus preventing any damage caused by water penetration into your cedar fence.
I liked how it allowed the wood grain in my cedar to show through. It enhances the beauty of your cedar wood; it is something to go by if beauty fascinates you. You will find the product in five beautiful, semi-transparent colors that dry to flat and will do all this work.
- It offers protection against fading of colour and prevents greying.
- It allows the wood grain of your cedar to show through.
- It is easy to clean with water and soap.
- It can work on your damp cedar wood, thus minimizing the time you wait between cleaning and staining.
- It can also be used as a sealant.
- It requires frequent maintenance.
3 Wood Defender 200 Series Cedar Tone Transparent Stain – Budget Choice
Finding a budget-friendly yet effective cedar fence stain is a bit challenging. However, Wood Defender 200 Series Cedar stain is a low-cost stain from a trusted brand that will offer the best results.
This transparent wood stain comes in a five-gallon pack, thus covering a large area and giving your cedar fence a cedar tone after application.
But how do you apply for the best results? Well, you will have to wait for 24 hours at least for the first coat to dry up nicely before applying another coat, and the results will be excellent. By doing so, you will have protected your cedar fence from all damaging weather-based factors with this durable cedar wood stain.
- It is easy to apply.
- It is a weather-proof solution to your cedar fence.
- It is durable.
- It is cost effective
- It will need more than one coat.
The choice for stain, especially regarding your cedar fence, must be done carefully. The stains I have recommended above are based on extensive research, customer reviews, and my own experience; thus, the stains are the best in the market. Ready Seal 512 Cedar Stain won my heart and that of the majority as it gives cedar wood fences more accurate colour and maximum protection and can be applied in various methods, as I have explained above.